Another Reason Against Copyright

The EU is about to extend the duration of the copyright for music from 50 to 70 years.

That means recordings (not the music, only the original tapes and records) of the Beatles, Elvis, etc. will generate revenue for another 20 years. Who gets that revenue? The “Big Four”: EMI, Sony Music, Universal Music and Warner Music (72%). Then 24% goes to rich, already established artists like The Rolling Stones, which make up about 20% of all artists. The rest (80%) get 4%.

Revolutions don’t start because people are hungry, they start because there is enough for everyone but most people are starving and they are fed up with a greedy few.

Source:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s