I’m back from SoCraTes Day Switzerland where I help a Code&Hack session called “Testing the Impossible”.
- Space Shuttle – They Write the Right Stuff
- Why wasn’t the bug caught by QA?
- Why did the bug escape dev?
- Personal Bug Diary
- Team Culture: Strengths va. Blame Game
- Miscommunication with Customers
- Anyone can press the “Red Button“
- Make failures cheap. Fail fast.
I’m wrong. I have learned something.
- Bug-.hunting takes time and mindshare.
- If you found a bug, write a test for it
How do I test randomness?
- Test small pieces
- Fix things that varies (IDs, timestamps, etc.)
How do I test a DB?
- Layer between DB and App code which allows to switch between real DB and mock
- Verify generated SQL instead of executing it
- Allows to test thousands of combinations easily
- Useful for code that builds search queries
- Run SQL against real DB during the night (CI server)
- H2 embedded DB can emulate Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, …
- Test at various depths (speed vs. accuracy)
- Testing Walrus dives deep!